Hello Guest

LWJGL on Android

• 5 Replies
LWJGL on Android
« on: May 10, 2011, 00:47:31 »
Hello, I've been using LWJGL to create a platform independant Java 3D gaming engine and so far I'm very happy with the work that has been put into getting LWJGL to the point it is today.

I'm going to be adding the capability to deploy my engine on Android devices so that the engine can run on both Android and standard J2SE. So far it looks like I'll have to duplicate a lot of my graphics rendering and manipulation classes to use the Android OpenGL ES api instead of LWJGL - which is fine, but I was wondering if there are any plans to add Android to the list of supported operating systems for JWJGL? (As this would save me a lot of duplication).

Many thanks.

Re: LWJGL on Android
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 06:28:38 »
Hi, for now there is no support for android, and opengl es, but every once in a while there is talk here about implementing opengl es support.

however, what you can do now, is use the LibGdx library http://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/ it is an awesome open source library, that allows you to make games that work on android and desktop using the same code, it has backends implemented with lwjgl (for desktop) and a backend for android.

the library is really fast and easy to use, and the level of support from the author and the community around it is great.

right now there are some excellent games made with libgdx on the android market like "jumping slime"

hope you find it helpful

Disclaimer: I am just a happy user of the library

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:00:06 »
Thanks for the advice - I'll check it out.

Offline princec

• Puppygames
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 21:22:22 »
Spasi just added OpenGL ES support to SVN. There will probably be a release some time in the not too distant future. What the point of it might be without any real JVMs for ARM around we don't know though :)

Cas :)

Offline kappa

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 21:53:28 »
ahem :)

One use for LWJGL ES could also be that you'll be able to run your game/app on the desktop without an emulator and not have to write wrapper code over standard OpenGL. When deploying on the actual devices then you can just use the Android/iPhone OpenGL ES api's.

Another use, as OpenGL ES is the standard used for WebGL, maybe an library could use it to create web games via GWT and deploy the same code base to desktop using LWJGL ES.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 22:09:41 by kappa »

Offline princec

• Puppygames
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 22:22:03 »
ahem :)
We all know that really what we mean is NO BLOODY IPHONE STILL!!!

Cas :)